The E. coli Keio Knockout Collection contains a set of single-gene, knockout mutants for all nonessential genes in E. coli K-12. Developed as a collaboration between the Institute for Advanced Biosciences, Keio University (Japan), Nara Institute of Science and Technology (Japan), and Purdue University, this collection of mutant strains was designed to create in-frame deletions upon excision of a kanamycin resistance cassette.
The E. coli Keio collection is not only a resource for systematic functional genomics, but can also serve as a tool for a number of reverse genetics approaches. In contrast to forward genetic approaches in which mutant phenotypes are associated with a corresponding gene, the Keio collection permits analysis of the consequences associated with the complete loss of gene function.
- There are two independent deletion strains for each of 3985 genes, yielding a total of 7970 strains
- Each deleted gene is replaced with a kanamycin resistance cassette that can be excised by FLP recognition target (FRT) recombination
- Strain background: E. coli K-12 BW25113
We provide certain clone resources developed by leading academic laboratories. Many of these resources address the needs of specialized research communities not served by other commercial entities. In order to provide these as a public resource, we depend on the contributing academic laboratories for quality control.
Therefore, these are distributed in the format provided by the contributing institution "as is" with no additional product validation or guarantee. We are not responsible for any errors or performance issues. Additional information can be found in the product manual as well as in associated published articles (if available). Alternatively, the source academic institution can be contacted directly for troubleshooting.
Clones are provided as a live culture in a 2 mL tube. Each tube contains LB medium supplemented with 8% glycerol and the appropriate antibiotic. We will ship your clone at room temperature via express delivery. Store the stock clone at -80°C.
Orders of 50 clones or greater and stock plates will be provided in microtiter plates. These will ship on dry-ice via overnight delivery and should be stored at -80°C immediately upon receipt. Please contact our customer service department for a quote and estimated shipping time on bulk orders.
Orders for the entire E. coli Keio Knockout collection are provided in 96-well microtiter plates. These will ship on dry-ice via overnight delivery and should be stored at -80°C immediately upon receipt. Please contact our customer service department for estimated shipping time on orders for the entire collection
- T. Baba, et al, Construction of Escherichia coli K12 in-frame, single-gene knockout mutants: the Keio collection. Molecular Systems Biology. 2, 2006.0008 (21 February 2006). [doi:10.1038/msb4100050]
- K.A. Datsenko, B.L. Wanner, One-step inactivation of chromosomal genes in Escherichia coli K-12 using PCR products. PNAS. 97, 6640-6645 (2000).