Yeast Tet-Promoters Hughes (yTHC)
To shop for Yeast Tet-Promoters Hughes Collection (yTHC), please select a Gene.
The creation of a genome-wide yeast deletion collection revealed that there are over 1,000 protein-coding genes that are essential for yeast viability. The function of many of these essential genes has yet to be defined. In part, this is due to the difficulty of utilizing essential genes in functional assays. The Tet-Promoter Hughes Collection (yTHC) from the Hughes Laboratory, University of Toronto, helps to overcome this barrier.
The yTHC collection contains 800 essential yeast genes for which expression is regulated by doxycycline. The endogenous promoter has been replaced with a Tet-titratable promoter in the genome. This allows the expression of the gene to be switched off by the addition of doxycycline to the yeast growth medium.
- Yeast Tet-Promoters Hughes Collection (yTHC) mutant strains are provided in the haploid MATa strain R1158
- Each strain was qualified by its growth phenotype on YPD with 10 µg/mL doxycycline
- In the absence of doxycycline, the Tet-promoter is fully activated
- Addition of doxycycline in a titratable manner allows for down-regulation of the promoter until the gene of interest is no longer expressed at detectable levels
- Background Strain = R1158 (derived from By4741)
- Genotype of wildtype R1158 - URA3::CMV-tTA MATa his3-1 leu2-0 met15-0
We provide certain clone resources developed by leading academic laboratories. Many of these resources address the needs of specialized research communities not served by other commercial entities. In order to provide these as a public resource, we depend on the contributing academic laboratories for quality control.
Therefore, these are distributed in the format provided by the contributing institution "as is" with no additional product validation or guarantee. We are not responsible for any errors or performance issues. Additional information can be found in the product manual as well as in associated published articles (if available). Alternatively, the source academic institution can be contacted directly for troubleshooting.
Wildtype R1158 is provided in YPD with addition of 15% glycerol following incubation.
Individual strains are provided as a live culture in a 2 mL tube. Each tube contains YPD broth with G418 (200 µg/mL) and is supplemented with 15% glycerol following incubation. We will ship your clone at room temperature via express delivery. Store the stock clone at 4°C for up to one week or -80°C indefinitely.
The Yeast Tet-Promoter collection is provided in 96-well microtiter plates containing frozen glycerol stock cultures in YPD with G418 (200 µg/mL) plus 15% glycerol. We ship collections frozen on dry ice, and these can be maintained indefinitely at -80°C.
- E. A. Winzeler et al., Functional characterization of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae genome by gene deletion and parallel analysis. Science. 285(5429), 901-906 (6 August 1999).
- S. Mnaimneh et al., Exploration of essential gene functions via titratable promoter alleles. Cell. 118(1), 31-44 (9 July 2004).
- T. R. Hughes et al., Functional discovery via a compendium of expression profiles. Cell. 102(1), 109-126 (7 July 2000).