4 great reasons for working with lentiviral microRNAs!
How to maximize success when studying microRNA regulation
microRNAs are noncoding RNAs that mediate post-transcriptional gene regulation through a mechanism that involves RISC-mediated binding to complementary sequences largely in the 3’ UTR of mammalian target genes. microRNAs bind to targeted messenger RNAs (mRNAs) via imperfect sequence complementarity resulting largely in mRNA destabilization and translational attenuation. Because microRNA targeting of transcripts is directed by partial sequence complementarity, each microRNA can potentially regulate hundreds of genes.
shMIMIC microRNAs are available as either purified lentiviral particles or glycerol stocks
- If you want to create stable cells to express the microRNA or are working with difficult-to-transfect cells, lentiviral particles are a great asset to your work. If you want to transfect the plasmid, keep a renewable resource, or package particles on your own in the lab, the glycerol stock format is an excellent solution.
microRNAs are available for human, mouse, and rat
- Every annotated microRNA for these three species present in miRBase v21 is available; that means you’re working with the most up-to-date scientifically accurate annotation.
microRNAs can be expressed in both inducible and constitutive formats
- Whether you are looking for the temporal control that an inducible promoter provides or the always-on consistency of a constitutive promoter; there is an ideal solution for your experiment. Don’t forget your vector matched positive and negative controls (constitutive and inducible)!
shMIMIC lentiviral vectors are configurable
- Built on the SMARTchoice platform, you can choose from a selection of eight inducible promoter and reporter combinations or twelve constitutive promoter and reporter combinations. This ensures that you can select a highly active promoter for your cell type to maximize microRNA expression and select a fluorescent reporter to match your experimental requirements.
- Here we describe the strategy for scaffold design, the importance of an optimal promoter, and demonstrate gene target down-regulation from the over-expression of lentiviral microRNA mimics.
- A quick tool to help determine the ideal Dharmacon microRNA product line and format for your needs.
Dharmacon™ SMARTvector™ Lentiviral shRNA and shMIMIC Lentiviral microRNA - Recommended Reading (PDF)
- List of peer-reviewed publications citing successful use of Dharmacon shMIMIC Lentiviral microRNA or SMARTvector Lentiviral shRNA .