SMARTvector Lentiviral Controls
Matched controls enable accurate data interpretation for both SMARTvector shRNA and shMIMIC microRNAs
To order gene-specific SMARTvector Lentiviral shRNAs or shMIMIC Lentiviral microRNAs, search for your gene of interest or microRNA and make your desired promoter and reporter choices.
Start by identifying the optimal vector configuration for your cells with the SMARTchoice Promoter Selection Plate
Determine the most active promoter in the specific cells of interest by evaluating all seven* vectors simultaneously using the SMARTchoice Promoter Selection Plate (catalog # SP-001000-01):
- An arrayed plate of SMARTvector Non-targeting Controls (NTCs) with seven well-characterized constitutive cellular promoters driving the expression of TurboGFP (Evrogen, Moscow, Russia)
- High-titer lentiviral particles are packaged, purified, and concentrated for consistent activity
- Lentiviral particles are arrayed in a convenient 96- well format in duplicate serial dilutions so multiple MOIs can be tested.
*Please note that some promoter options may only be available as custom products or upon request.
Order SMARTvector RNAi controls with promoter and reporter selections matching your gene-specific constructs.
SMARTvector vector-matched controls are available with options for all seven promoters and two fluorescent reporters or without a fluorescent reporter. All individual controls are available as glycerol stocks and as 50 µL (2 x 25 µL) of 1 x 108 TU/mL, ± 20%, and 100 µL (4 x 25 µL) of 2 x 109 TU/mL, ± 20%, of purified, concentrated packaged lentiviral particles.
SMARTvector non-targeting controls
- Validated to have minimal targeting of any known genes in the human, mouse and rat genomes
- Confirm transduction efficiency via TurboGFP or TurboRFP expression
- Distinguish sequence-specific silencing of gene-targeting SMARTvector shRNAs and shMIMIC microRNAs from non-specific effects
- SMARTvector Non-targeting Control 1: Our longest standing and most commonly used SMARTvector non-targeting control, ideal for supporting most experiments involving only a few genes
- SMARTvector Non-targeting Control 2 – 12: Designed specifically with the needs of screeners in mind, who may require using several different non-targeting control sequences in follow-up experiments; should be selected if multiple controls are desired
SMARTvector positive controls
- Provide consistent, potent silencing of non-essential, abundantly expressed housekeeping genes in human (see Figure 2), mouse and rat cells
- SMARTvector GAPD Positive Control shRNA (human, mouse and rat); validated to target glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (also known as GAPDH)
- SMARTvector PPIB Positive Control shRNA (human, mouse and rat); validated to target peptidylprolyl isomerase B (also known as cyclophilin B)
SMARTvector Constitutive Workflow
The SMARTvector Lentiviral shRNA experimental workflow begins with using the SMARTchoice Promoter Selection Plate to identify the most active vector configuration in your cells of interest simply by assessing TurboGFP fluorescence intensity in transduced cells. Then, order gene-specific shRNAs and matched-vector positive and negative controls with your choice of RNA polymerase II promoter and reporter. Transduce cells with SMARTvector Lentiviral shRNAs targeting genes of interest, always including matched positive and negative RNAi controls for rigorous data interpretation. All SMARTvector Lentiviral shRNAs and RNAi controls are provided as high-titer, purified and concentrated lentiviral particles for immediate transduction.
SMARTvector Lentiviral shRNA Control Particles Give Consistent Results Across Cell Lines
Figure 1. SMARTvector Lentiviral shRNA Controls: Non-Targeting Control and GAPD. K562, HUVEC, and SH-SY5Y cells were transduced at three MOIs and assessed for mRNA knockdown 72 hours post-transduction using a branched DNA assay (Panomics, Inc.)
Certificate of analysis
Identifying the optimal promoter for your cells of interest using the SMARTchoice promoter selection plate allows for increased functionality and performance of lentiviral shRNA and shMIMIC microRNA - resulting in successful gene down-regulation in any cell of interest, including transformed, primary, embryonic stem and neuronal cells.
Guaranteed gene silencing with state-of-the-art shRNA designs and multiple promoter and reporter options.
Lentiviral packaging kits with calcium phosphate provide lower cost and higher-efficiency viral packaging along with premium biosafety.